Coaching focuses on developing a professional partnership between a coach and a coachee that enables a coachee to clarify their needs, goals and preferred outcomes, supporting them to move toward achieving these. Coaching is focused on the present and on supporting a coachee to move forward.
How can coaching help?
Coaching might be beneficial to you if you would like to:
- be supported with your personal growth and development
- be supported with your professional development
- be supported to create a vision for your future
- find your passion or purpose
- have clarity, focus and direction in your life
- clarify what’s important to you
- take committed action towards your goals and valued directions
- improve your performance
- develop particular skills, such as communication, managing others, managing conflict, delegation, giving and receiving feedback, problem-solving, managing time, etc.
- develop particular capabilities or strengths
- understand and manage organisational dynamics and different personalities
- manage stress resiliently
- develop your mindfulness or resilience capacities
- explore career options.
Coaching may have the following benefits:
- enhancing self-awareness and awareness of others
- increasing self-confidence
- providing support for achieving what’s important to you
- providing focus, structure and support for moving forward in life toward valued directions
- developing and strengthening personal and professional capabilities and resources
- encouraging and supporting reasonable risk-taking.
Types of coaching available
- personal / life
- leadership or executive
What coaching is not
- counselling or psychotherapy
- delving into the past
- about telling you what you should do
- trying to fix anything
Psychologists as coaches
There are many reasons why working with a coach who is also a psychologist may be beneficial to you. Psychologists study for a minimum of six years to understand human behaviour, personality, and factors that contribute to change and development. As part of their training, they develop a range of models, frameworks, tools and strategies they can offer to people who would like support, guidance and encouragement to achieve their personal and/or professional goals, and/or, to develop particular capabilities or skills.
Psychologists are trained to identify what might be blocking a person from achieving what’s important to them. If they require support to address particular psychological or emotional issues, then this support can be provided.
Psychologists are guided by their professional Code of Ethics, ensuring that each person is treated respectfully and competently throughout the process.
Psychologists are expected to participate in ongoing professional development activities to ensure their knowledge and capabilities remain current.
Coaching structure and options
Coaching at Transformative Psychology is typically comprised of the following phases:
(1) needs assessment / goal clarification phase
(2) an initial contracting and planning phase
(3) the coaching or ‘work’ phase
(4) a review and evaluation phase
Support and feedback are provided throughout the coaching process.
Coaching recognises that each person is unique. Approaches and solutions are tailored to the needs of the individual.
Coaching frequency, duration and delivery methods
Consultations can be weekly, every 2-3 weeks, monthly or as required. Preferred timeframes and frequency of consultations are determined by the coachee with guidance from the coach.
Consultations are generally for 60 or 90 minutes, depending on the coachee’s preference.
Coaching can be face-to-face, by telephone or Skype, or at a coachee’s workplace (a travel fee will apply).
Coaching consultation fees
For individual coaching consultation fees Professional Services Fees – March 2019
Charles Thermos has provided coaching support to executives, managers and other professionals across a number of sectors and organisations, including health, education and the corporate world, and to people in the community.
If you are interested in further information about how Transformative Psychology can support your coaching needs please contact Charles Thermos on 0438055565 or via e-mail at: firstname.lastname@example.org